It has been several months since I last posted an entry to this blog, I have been incredibly busy to say the least. Here is a short bullet-point list of some things I have been up to:
- Ramping up my contracting and consulting work, which fortunately has been going like gangbusters
- Preparing for the arrival of my first child due May 17th, 2006 (Very excited about this!)
- After looking for over a year my wife and I found a house we fell in love with, and we close on March 3rd – woot!
- Playing with Flex 2 and Flash Lite 2, and loving Adobe Labs  (Formerly Macromedia)
- Working on a new version of this site, and a major overhaul to the Philadelphia Flash MMUG  site – both to launch Q1 2006
- Presenting to various User Groups about Flash as a Platform
- Writing some small articles and working on some projects for IFBIN 
- Spending more time with my wife and preparing to become a father
There has been a ton of other things going on as well, but those are some of the biggies. I have really enjoyed the last few months working with several of my new clients. Being able to set my own schedules and priorities is a great perk. The challenge of feeling out the areas and types of projects that I am best at, and working on the areas where I have weaknesses is challenging but definitely rewarding . If there is anything I can say to sum up working for myself full-time is that I wish I had done it several years ago. If there is any advice I can give to anyone on the fence about doing work on their own – go for it! it is so much more rewarding. Its not all a piece of cake, running your own business means a lot of paperwork, forms, taxes, etc. but at the end of the day you are doing it for yourself and no one else. It is a great motivator and much more rewarding when jobs get completed and clients are happy. I really enjoy getting to work with some of my friends as well. With my more flexible schedule I have a lot more time to spend with my wife as well, which is number one important to me especially with a baby on the way.
Our new house is awesome, I can’t wait to move in. We finally found one we just love and right on time to be settled for at least a month before the baby arrives. We couldn’t have timed things better if we tried. I’ll post some pictures up of the house once we move in. I’ll be attempting to take a bit of a break the next few weeks as my wife and I pack up all our stuff for the move. As a result it might take me a bit longer to get back to anyone who emails me after the 24th of this month when we are down to the last few days of packing before we close and begin moving. I’ll try to put up a few interesting posts over the next few weeks i have been saving up the last several months, but expect some more down time as we close on the house and make final preparations for the baby over the next month or two. Wish us luck!